I build technology products, teams, and companies. Mostly with code and data science. Usually successfully.
Engineering, data science, and venture executive. 20 years, 7 countries, 4 continents. Built several successfully-exited and acquired technology companies. Deployed mission-critical, scalable, production engineering and ML capabilities in complex verticals: delivery, travel, fintech, online gaming, and campaigning.
- Global VP Data for world’s largest on-demand delivery company
- Turnaround of SE Asian venture builder into $10M/a concern acquired by Dell/VMWare
- Builder of several successfully-exited startups in SE Asia and France
- VP Data for $5B SE Asian travel unicorn
- Global IT Director for world’s largest human rights organization
Vice President, Data
Delivery Hero | Berlin/Singapore | Oct 2020 - present
World’s largest on-demand delivery network: 49 countries, 4 continents, 800k+ restaurant partners, ~25k staff, and 5M+ daily orders. Leading 3 continent team covering global Data Platforms, Data Science, and Machine Learning and tackling cross-domain and global business problems. Responsible for global Data Mesh, CDP, Experimentation, and ML Platforms.
Vice President, Data
Traveloka | Singapore | Oct 2017 - Apr 2020
SE Asia’s travel unicorn: 10M+ monthly customers, 8 countries, $5B USD valuation. Led Data Science, ML, Analytics, Platforms, Data Lake, DWHing, and BI.
- Hired leadership bench in tight Asian talent market and grew team from 57 to 125+ people
- Went from 0 to 23 production ML models in first year driving millions in additional GMV and cost optimizations
- Reduced fraud in credit product from double digits to 1% in 3 months, adding $16M USD back to bottom line
- Built out Experimentation platform and group, powering metrics-driven product management best practices
- Built scalable, low latency, highly resilient data platform to drive product features and on-platform decision making
Pivotal Labs APAC (formerly Neo Innovation) | Singapore | Sep 2013 - Jan 2017
Neo was Pivotal Labs’ APAC lauded venture builder practice acquired by Dell/VMWare in Feb 2016. Led pre-acquisition turnaround in under 2 years: 25+ billable staff, $10M+ USD in ARR, industry leading margins and utilization rates.
- Built and launched successfully-exited startups PIE (Google), Luxola (LVMH), and Viki (Rakutan)
- Scaled $2B/day settlement system for BAML, Houseparty video app backend, and Ministry of Manpower Workpass system
- Built Singtel’s big data analytics business DataSpark, and stood up Samsung SE Asia’s Data Science and Analytics capabilities
Director of Information Technology
Amnesty International - International Secretariat | London | Oct 2006 - Oct 2009
AI is the world’s largest human rights NGO. Awarded Nobel Peace Prize. 7M+ members worldwide supported by 70+ offices. Led global technology: Development, Corp IT, NetOps, and Field and Secretariat Support.
- Pioneered agile, rapid response campaigning approaches vastly increasing campaign and lobbying win rates
- Introduced new development methodologies, rocketing software development success rates to 90%+
- Delivered award-winning technical, product, and site re-architecture of amnesty.org flagship
MDIB | Paris | Apr 1999 - Dec 2002
MDIB is France’s 5th largest private M&A investment bank. Led technology for bank and its VC incubator.
- Interim CTO on 5 startups including exits of directpanel.fr (Ipsos-Reid) and F1Live (ESPN)
- Increased M&A deal throughput 58% and revenues 23% via algorithmic matching application
Director of Online Campaigning and IT, GetUp! | Sydney | 2009-2011
Director of Analytics and BI, Lancashire Finance | Vancouver | 2003-2006
Solution Architect, Bowne & Co | Toronto/New York | 1996-1999
Senior Information Manager, Kraft Canada | Toronto | 1995
Senior Knowledge Analyst, Cott Corporation | Toronto | 1994
Economist, Ministry of Treasury and Economics | Toronto | 1993
|Go DSci/ML||golearn, gonum, goml, gorgonia, goro, gold|
|Python||Flask, some Django|
|Python DSci/ML||numpy/pandas, scipy, sklearn, matplotlib/seaborn/bokeh, LightGBM/XGBoost/CatBoost, tensorflow etc|
|JS/Typescript||Node, Vue, React, Serverless.js, D3, some Deno|
|Ruby||Rails, Sinatra, Padrino|
- Google GCP and Amazon AWS ecosystems and architecture experience
- Docker, Kubernetes (GKE/EKS), CI/CD, MLfLow, some Kubeflow
- Most GCP, AWS, and OSS datastores (BQ, BT, Redis, DynamoDB, Postgres, MySQL), streams (GCP Pub/Sub, Kafka, Kenesis), and distributed processing engines (Spark, BQ, Athena/Presto)
- Data engineering: stream and batch ingestion (GCP Dataflow, Glue, AirFlow), ETL, production DWH and DSci pipelines
- Data mesh, Data lake, and datawarehousing architecture and build experience
- REST, GraphQL, CQRS, serverless (AWS lambda, GCF) microservices architecture and implementation experience
- Full stack data scientist
Amphibian Ark International | Australia/USA | 2013-2019
Built tracking system to globally coordinate zoo and conservation organizations' species survival programs and save or reintroduce endangered amphibian species.
DataKind | Singapore | 2014-2016
Co-founder of 1 of 5 global hubs for DataKind, the data-science-for-good NGO. Director of Operations for DK SG.
MSc Information Technology, University of Liverpool, 2003
BA Honours Economics and Political Science, Western University, 1992
English native, French advanced, Spanish proficient, Indonesian intermediate