I build technology products, teams, and companies. Mostly with code and data science. Usually successfully.
Engineering, data science, and venture executive. 20 years, 7 countries, 4 continents. Built handful of successfully-exited and acquired technology companies. Deployed mission-critical, scalable, production engineering and ML capabilities in complex verticals: delivery, travel, fintech, online gaming, and campaigning.
- VP Data for world’s largest on-demand delivery company
- Turnaround of SE Asian venture builder to $10M USD/a concern acquired by Dell/VMWare
- Builder of successfully-exited startups in SE Asia and France
- VP Data for $5B SE Asian travel unicorn
- IT Director for world’s largest human rights organization
Vice President, Data
Delivery Hero | Berlin/Singapore | Oct 2020 - present
World’s largest on-demand delivery network: €30B annually, 49 countries, 4 continents, 800k+ restaurant partners, and 8.5M+ daily orders. Leading 3 continent team covering global Data Platforms, Data Science, and Machine Learning and tackling cross-domain and global business problems. Responsible for global Data Backbone and Mesh, CDP, Experimentation, and ML Platforms.
Vice President, Data
Traveloka | Singapore | Oct 2017 - Apr 2020
SE Asia’s travel unicorn: 10M+ monthly customers, 8 countries, $5B USD valuation. Led Data Science, ML, Analytics, Platforms, Data Lake, DWHing, and BI.
- Hired leadership bench in tight Asian talent market and grew team from 57 to 125+ people
- Went from 0 to 23 production ML models in first year driving millions in incremental GMV and cost optimizations
- Reduced fraud in credit product from double digits to 1% in 3 months, adding $16M USD back to bottom line
- Built out Experimentation platform and group, powering metrics-driven product management and feature development
- Built scalable, low latency, highly resilient data platform to drive product features and on-platform decision making
Pivotal Labs APAC (formerly Neo Innovation) | Singapore | Sep 2013 - Jan 2017
Neo was Pivotal Labs APAC’s lauded venture builder practice acquired by Dell/VMWare in Feb 2016. Led pre-acquisition turnaround in under 2 years: 25+ billable staff, $10M+ USD in ARR, industry leading margins and utilization rates.
- Built Singtel’s big data analytics business DataSpark, and stood up Samsung SE Asia’s Data Science and Analytics capabilities
- Built and launched successfully-exited startups PIE (Google), Luxola (LVMH), and Viki (Rakutan)
- Scaled $2B/day settlement system for BAML, Houseparty video app backend, and Ministry of Manpower Workpass system
Director of Information Technology
Amnesty International - International Secretariat | London | Oct 2006 - Oct 2009
AI is the world’s largest human rights NGO. Awarded Nobel Peace Prize. 7M+ members worldwide supported by 70+ offices. Led global technology: Software Engineering, DevOps, Corp IT, NetOps, and Field and Secretariat Support.
- Pioneered agile, rapid response campaigning approaches vastly increasing global campaign and lobbying win rates
- Introduced new development methodologies, rocketing software development success rates to 90%+
- Delivered award-winning technical, product, and site re-architecture of amnesty.org flagship site
MDIB | Paris | Apr 1999 - Dec 2002
MDIB is France’s 5th largest private M&A investment bank. Led technology for bank and its VC incubator.
- Interim CTO on 5 startups including exited directpanel.fr (Ipsos-Reid) and F1 Live (ESPN)
- Increased M&A deal throughput 58% and revenues 23% via algorithmic matching application
Director of Online Campaigning and IT, GetUp! | Sydney | 2009-2011
Director of Analytics and BI, Lancashire Finance | Vancouver | 2003-2006
Evolution Architect, Bowne & Co | Toronto/New York | 1996-1999
Senior Information Manager, Kraft Canada | Toronto | 1995
Senior Knowledge Analyst, Cott Corporation | Toronto | 1994
Economist, Ministry of Treasury and Economics | Toronto | 1993
|Go||■■■□□||Gin, Fiber, DSci: gonum/gota, go sklearn, goml, gold|
|Python||■■■■□||Flask, DSci: numpy/pandas, scipy, sklearn, viz (matplotlib/bokeh), boosting (LightGBM, XG/Cat/Boost), tensorflow, astropy, biopython, pyfolio, zipline, TA-lib etc|
|TS/JS||■■■□□||Node, Express, some React, D3, some Deno|
|Ruby||■■■■□||Rails, Sinatra, Padrino|
- Google GCP and Amazon AWS ecosystems and architecture experience
- Docker, Kubernetes (GKE/EKS), CI/CD, MLfLow, some Kubeflow
- Most GCP, AWS, and OSS datastores (BQ, BT, Redis, DynamoDB, Postgres, MySQL), streams (GCP Pub/Sub, Kafka, Kenesis), and distributed processing engines (Spark, BQ, Athena/Presto)
- Data engineering: stream and batch ingestion (GCP Dataflow, AWS Glue, AirFlow), ETL, production DWH and DSci pipelines
- Data mesh, Data lake, and datawarehousing architecture and build experience
- REST, GraphQL, CQRS, serverless (AWS lambda, GCF) microservices architecture and implementation experience
Amphibian Ark International | Australia/USA | 2013-2019
Built global tracking system to coordinate zoo and conservation organizations' species survival programs and save or reintroduce endangered amphibian species.
DataKind | Singapore | 2014-2016
Co-founder of global hub for DataKind, the data-science-for-good NGO. Director of Operations for DK SG.
MSc Information Technology, University of Liverpool, 2003
BA Honours Economics and Political Science, Western University, 1992
English native, French advanced, Spanish proficient, Indonesian intermediate