I build tech products, teams, and companies. Mission-critical product and platform engineering, data science, and machine learning in ecommerce, fintech, travel, gaming, and campaigning.
- Global VP Data for world’s 3rd largest food delivery company
- MD for $10M USD/a venture builder acquired by Dell
- VP Data of $5B SE Asian travel unicorn
- Builder of five successfully-exited startups in SE Asia and France
- Global IT Director for world’s largest human rights organization
Global VP Data
Delivery Hero · Berlin/Singapore · Oct 2020 - present
World’s 3rd largest food delivery company: €30B+ annually, 74 countries, 4 continents, and 6M+ daily orders. Lead 3 continent team (EUR, LATAM, APAC) building and running our global Data Mesh and streaming Bus, Core Data Platform, DWH and BI, Experimentation, Product Analytics, Incentive Fraud, Customer Science, Marketing Technology, and Machine Learning platforms and services.
Vice President, Data
Traveloka · Singapore/Jakarta · Oct 2017 - Jun 2020
SE Asia’s travel unicorn: 10M+ monthly customers, 8 countries, 17 businesses. Led Data Platforms, Data Science, Machine Learning, Economics, Marketing Science, DWH and BI, and Analytics. Built new data products and capabilities to make better decisions faster, create competitive advantage, and drive evidence-based decision-making.
- Hired leadership bench and grew team from 57 ⇒ 125+ in tight talent market
- 0 ⇒ 23 production ML models in 10 months, 40M+ USD in GMV and cost optimizations across travel, fintech, customer service, and marketing
- Reduced double-digit fraud in credit product to 1% in 3 months, +$16M USD to bottom line
- Rebuilt Experimentation platform and function, powering data-driven product management and marketing
- Reduced 64% of data quality issues while moving to real-time ingestion and data checking
- Built core data platform and feature store to power backend recommendations and personalization
Pivotal Labs APAC (Neo Innovation) · Singapore · Sep 2013 - Jun 2017
Neo was Pivotal Labs APAC’s lauded venture builder practice acquired by Dell in Feb 2016. Led pre-acquisition turnaround: $10M+ USD in ARR, industry leading margins and utilization rates in under 2 years.
- Built Singtel’s big data analytics business DataSpark and Samsung SE Asia’s Data Science and Analytics capabilities
- Built and launched successfully-exited startups PIE (Google), Luxola (LVMH), and Viki (Rakutan)
- Scaled $2B/day settlement system for Bank of America/Merrill Lynch, Houseparty video app backend, and the Ministry of Manpower Workpass system
Director of Information Technology
Amnesty International - International Secretariat · London · Oct 2006 - Oct 2009
AI is the world’s largest human rights NGO. Awarded Nobel Peace Prize. 7M+ members and 70+ offices worldwide. Led global technology and acted as CTO overseeing global Software Engineering, DevOps, Corp IT, NetOps, and Field and Secretariat Support.
- Delivered award-winning technical and product re-design of amnesty.org flagship site
- Introduced agile development methodologies, rocketing software development success rates to 90%+
- Pioneered digital rapid response campaigning greatly improving win rates on global campaigns
Michel Dyens & Co · Paris/New York · Apr 1999 - Dec 2002
France’s 5th largest private M&A bank. Headed tech for bank and its VC incubator.
- Interim CTO on 5 incubated startups including exited directpanel.fr (Ipsos-Reid) and F1 Live (ESPN)
- Increased M&A deals 58% and revenues 23% via algorithmic matching system
- Managing Director
- , Wakatara Industries · Sydney/Hong Kong · 2010-2013
- Director of Online Campaigning and IT
- , GetUp! · Sydney · 2009-2011
- Director of Analytics and BI
- , Lancashire Finance · Vancouver · 2003-2006
|Go||■■■□□||Fiber, Gin, various data science libraries|
|Python||■■■□□||Flask, extensive data science + scientific libraries|
|Typescript/JS||■■□□□||Nest, Node, Express, React, Vue, some Svelte|
|Ruby||■■■■□||Rails, Sinatra, Padrino|
- Backend engineer and full stack data scientist with GCP and AWS experience
- DevOps with Docker, Kubernetes (K8s), Argo, CI/CD on AWS, GCP, and bare metal
- Microservices, serverless, and monolithic architecture experience and scaling
- Data mesh, lake, pipelines, and DWH architectures — batch + streaming
Amphibian Ark International · Australia/USA · 2013-2022
Built global coordination system for amphibian species’ survival and reintroduction programs.
DataKind · Singapore · 2014-2016
Co-founded DataKind global hub in SG. Director of Operations.
MSc Information Technology, University of Liverpool, 2003
BA Honours Economics and Political Science, Western University, 1992
English native, French advanced, Spanish proficient, Indonesian intermediate