Engineering, data science, and startup exec: 20 years, 7 countries, 4 continents. I build tech products, teams, and companies. Mission-critical software and platform engineering, machine learning, and analytics in ecommerce, fintech, travel, online gaming, and campaigning.
- Global VP Data for world’s 3rd largest online food delivery company
- VP Data for $5B SE Asian travel unicorn
- MD of $10M USD/a venture builder acquired by Dell
- Builder of five successfully-exited startups in SE Asia and France
- Global IT Director of world’s largest human rights organization
Global VP Data
Delivery Hero | Berlin/Singapore | Oct 2020 - present
World’s 3rd largest food delivery company: €30B+ annually, 74 countries, 4 continents, and 6M+ daily orders. Lead 3 continent team (EUR, LATAM, APAC) covering our global Data Mesh and streaming Bus, Core Data Platform, DWH and BI, Experimentation, Product Analytics, Incentive Fraud, Customer Science, Marketing Technology, and Machine Learning platform.
Vice President, Data
Traveloka | Singapore/Jakarta | Oct 2017 - Apr 2020
SE Asia’s travel unicorn: 10M+ monthly customers, 8 countries, 17 businesses. Led Data Science, Data Platforms, Economics, Marketing Science, DWH and BI, Analytics, and Machine Learning. Built new data products and capabilities to make better decisions faster, create long term competitive advantage, and a more data-driven, evidence-based, decision-making organization.
- Hired leadership bench in tight talent market and grew team from 57 to 125+ people
- 0 to 23 production ML models in first 10 months, driving 40M+ USD in incremental GMV and cost optimizations across marketing (MTA, MMM, saturation, retention), customer service amelioration, and credit approvals
- Reduced fraud in credit product from double digits to 1% in three months, adding $16M USD back to bottom line
- Overhauled Experimentation platform and group, powering metrics-driven product management, marketing, and feature development
- Reduced ~64% of data quality issues while moving to real-time ingestion and in-flight data checking
- Built low latency, scalable core data platform and feature store to allow backend decision making and personalization
Pivotal Labs APAC (Neo Innovation) | Singapore | Sep 2013 - Jan 2017
Neo was Pivotal Labs APAC’s lauded venture builder practice acquired by Dell in Feb 2016. Led pre-acquisition turnaround: $10M+ USD in ARR, industry leading margins and utilization rates in under 2 years.
- Built Singtel’s big data analytics business DataSpark and Samsung SE Asia’s Data Science and Analytics capabilities
- Built and launched successfully-exited startups PIE (Google), Luxola (LVMH), and Viki (Rakutan)
- Scaled $2B/day settlement system for Bank of America/Merrill Lynch, Houseparty video app backend, and the Ministry of Manpower Workpass system
Director of Information Technology
Amnesty International - International Secretariat | London | Oct 2006 - Oct 2009
AI is the world’s largest human rights NGO. Awarded Nobel Peace Prize. 7M+ members and 70+ offices worldwide. Led global technology and acted as CIO overseeing Software Engineering, DevOps, Corp IT, NetOps, and Field and Secretariat Support.
- Delivered award-winning technical and product re-design of amnesty.org flagship site
- Introduced new development methodologies, rocketing failed software development success rates to 90%+
- Pioneered new digital campaigning and rapid response capabilities creating vastly more effective and coordinated lobbying and advocacy, improving win rates on global and crisis campaigns
MDIB | Paris | Apr 1999 - Dec 2002
MDIB is France’s 5th largest private M&A investment bank. Headed technology for bank and its VC incubator.
- Interim CTO on 5 incubated startups including exited directpanel.fr (Ipsos-Reid) and F1 Live (ESPN)
- Increased M&A deal throughput 58% and revenues 23% via algorithmic matching system
- Managing Director
- , Wakatara Heavy Industries | Hong Kong/Sydney | 2010-2013
- Director of Online Campaigning and IT
- , GetUp! | Sydney | 2009-2011
- Director of Analytics and BI
- , Lancashire Finance | Vancouver | 2003-2006
|Go||■■■□□||Fiber, Gin, some Bud, some Ebiten, various data science libraries|
|Rust||■■□□□||Rocket, some Amethyst|
|Python||■■■□□||Flask, extensive data science and scientific libraries|
|TS/JS||■■□□□||Node, Express, React, some D3, some Svelte|
|Ruby||■■■■□||Rails, Sinatra, Padrino|
- Backend software engineer and “full stack” data scientist
- Production Google GCP and Amazon AWS including Kubernetes (GKS/EKS), CI/CD, and Vertex/Sagemaker
- Data mesh, lake, and warehousing architectures plus batch, streaming, and ML/data science pipelines experience
- REST, GraphQL, and serverless implementation at scale
Amphibian Ark International | Australia/USA | 2013-2020
Built global system to coordinate zoo and conservation organizations’ species survival programs to save or reintroduce endangered amphibian species.
DataKind | Singapore | 2014-2016
Co-founder of global hub for DataKind, the data-science-for-good NGO. Director of Operations.
MSc Information Technology, University of Liverpool, 2003
BA Honours Economics and Political Science, Western University, 1992
English native, French advanced, Spanish proficient, Indonesian intermediate